How To Beat A Multiple Choice Question Paper Easily


Author: Ian McAllister

Beating A Multiple Choice Question Test

A Multiple Choice Question is unfair – in your favor, if you are taking the test. You don’t really have to know much about your subject at all

Just think about it for a moment. In a question with four alternatives, statistics say that you should get about one right in four. That would give you 25%.

So does that mean that you only have to know 25% of the right answers to get a total of 50%? Not quite. Unfortunately the chance-affected 25% is taken from the questions remaining after you answer the ones you know giving you 18.75% to add to your 25% or 43.75%

But statistical calculations have a lot of slop in them. You should throw a 6 every time you throw a die 6 times, but as you know, you could wait all evening to get a 6, or get 4 sixes in a row. This means that with the above statistics, you are likely to pass the exam half the time, and fail half the time.

How to improve your chances

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could somehow bypass chance a little, and get better than 25% right in the questions that you can’t answer? Well, my book (Exam Mastery) gives ten ways to do just that. I have passed a multiple-choice question paper (just for fun) where I knew none of the answers.

One thing you should try is to answer all the questions that you know first. When you come back to the others, you may have been given a clue by later questions. Or your sub-conscious mind might have worked out some answers while looking at other questions.

If you have done any study at all, you should never fail a multiple choice question paper.